Sustainability at the heart of Regatta London as partnership with Allianz Global Investors announced09.09.2019
Regatta London, the UK’s newest and most exciting waterborne mass participation challenge event, is delighted to announce Allianz Global Investors (AllianzGI), one of the world’s leading active asset management firms, as Sustainability Partner for its inaugural event in 2019.
On Sunday 29 September, thousands of rowers, kayakers and stand up paddle boarders will take on a 12 or 14-mile course along the River Thames in central London in the first event of its kind. Competitors and spectators will be able to enjoy all the action on the water, with a backdrop of some of the city’s most recognisable and iconic landmarks such as the Houses of Parliament, The London Eye, St Paul’s Cathedral, The Shard and Tower Bridge. The river will be closed to traffic and, because the event happens on the day of the annual, planned test closure of the Thames Barrier, the normal tides will be significantly reduced.
Protection of the environment is at the heart of the event, which has been created by Tideway, the company building London’s ‘super sewer’ to clean up the River Thames for generations of Londoners to come. AllianzGI, which manages the Allianz shareholding in Tideway, is a pioneer in sustainable investing, with decades of experience in managing a broad range of sustainable investment solutions. It will work in partnership with Regatta London to deliver the highest standards for sustainability in a mass participation event.
Plans for Regatta London 2019 include:
• No single use plastic bottles – all participants will be asked to bring their own water bottles and water refill points will be provided at the start and finish venues
• Those taking part will be encouraged to share transport to reduce vehicle movements across the event
• To avoid unnecessary use of metals or plastics, all finishers will receive a bespoke medal made of clay dug from the River Thames during the Tideway project. The clay has been excavated from approximately 25 metres below the Thames, which means that it was laid down approximately 52-54 million years ago. The medal’s lanyard is made from recycled plastic drinks bottles and can be reused after the event
• Finishers will also get a sustainable T-shirt with base fabric made from bamboo, charcoal and recycled Polyester yarn and which meets the Oekotex Standard 100 European Environment Protection Certificate. Distributing the T-shirts at the finish removes the need for the shirts to be packaged in single-use plastic bags
• Regatta London marks the final day of Recycle Week 2019. The event’s waste and recycling strategy includes: no leaflets at the event; clearly labelled and separate bins for different materials to ensure all waste can be recycled; discarded clothing to be donated to charity; and a focus on avoiding waste, not just recycling
• Caterers will only use compostable cups and cutlery, paper straws and compostable packaging.
• Regatta London is working closely with its suppliers to identify and use sustainable branding alternatives that do not include PVC or plastic, are manufactured using recycled content and are 100% recyclable. We also aim to re-use as much of our branding as possible for future years to limit unnecessary wastage.
• Regatta London will use existing power from the venue where possible to reduce reliance on diesel generators
Andrew Triggs Hodge, the former Olympic rower and Tideway Programme Manager who has set up Regatta London, said: “We are absolutely delighted to have AllianzGI as Sustainability Partner for the first Regatta London. Celebrating and protecting the environment is at the heart of the event and their values are completely in line with this. With their support, we want to make Regatta London the most sustainable mass participation event in the UK.”
Beatrix Anton-Groenemeyer, Chief Sustainability Officer at AllianzGI said: “We are very pleased to be working alongside our portfolio company, Tideway, to help establish Regatta London as the pre-eminent sustainable mass participation event in the UK, helping reconnect Londoners with the river. Regatta London’s passion for sustainability is a natural fit with AllianzGI’s commitment to investing in a sustainable way to the benefit our clients and society as a whole”.
Limelight Sports, the agency of the Active World, has been working with Regatta London Ltd to enable them to make their ambitious vision a reality. This has included the business plan development, event design and stakeholder negotiation. As the event gets closer Limelight will be implementing a full delivery plan for the Regatta London campaign and event.
There are still a few rowing places left for the event and registration closes on 20 September. For more information and to book a place, visit www.regatta.london
About Allianz Global Investors
Allianz Global Investors is a leading active asset manager with over 790 investment professionals in 25 offices worldwide and managing more than EUR 543 billion in assets for individuals, families and institutions*.
Active is the most important word in our vocabulary. Active is how we create and share value with clients. We believe in solving, not selling, and in adding value beyond pure economic gain. We invest for the long term, employing our innovative investment expertise and global resources. Our goal is to ensure a superior experience for our clients, wherever they are based and whatever their investment needs.
Tideway is the independent construction company delivering London’s super sewer, the Thames Tideway Tunnel, which is a 25km sewer tunnel urgently required to tackle sewage pollution in the tidal River Thames. In total the project is creating 4,000 direct sustainable jobs. One in every 50 site jobs is an apprenticeship. Construction from 24 sites across London is due for completion by 2024. For more information visit www.tideway.london.
For further information please contact:
Alastair Fairbrother, Tel. 44 020 3246 7432
Sarah Einig, Tel. 44 020 3246 7846